Customer Satisfaction Survey Template
At the 2015 SMC, Thomas DeCarlo PHD from Collar School of Business Presented on “Customer relationship management”. As a follow-up to his presentation he was asked to put together a customer satisfaction survey template that GAWDA members could use to survey their customers. Below are the instructions for using the survey and the free online software.
If you have additional questions, or need any help please contact Dr. DeCarlo at COLLAT School of Business, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, BEC 219, 1150 10th Ave. South, Birmingham, AL 35294; phone: 205.934.8989; email: firstname.lastname@example.org; web: www.uab.edu/id.
- Save the “.qsf” file (i.e., the customer survey) you received as an email attachment on your hard drive where you can easily access it later.
- In your web browser go to www.qualtrics.com
- Click on Free Account icon and fill out the online info sheet. This will require you to send a verification email to your email account.
- Once your Qualtrics account is set up, click on the icon to create your first survey (“Click here to create your first survey!”). From here, click “Survey Library” in the lower right to open an existing survey in the Qualtrics Library.)
- Click on the “Survey Library” icon and open any existing survey you want. You will need to click the “Category” icon and pull down any of the categories (e.g., Academic Research). It doesn’t matter which one you choose because later on we’ll just override this survey with the customer survey questionnaire that you’ll be uploading.
- Next, click on the “Survey” pull down menu and click on any of the surveys they have available (If you used the Academic Research category, then your only option under Surveys is the “Informed Consent Template”. Again, it doesn’t matter which survey you create here.) Then click “Create Survey” in the lower right of the panel.
- Once the survey is created see the “Advanced Options” tab on the upper-right part of your screen. Click on it and go to “Import Survey” near the bottom of the pull-down menu that appears.
- Click on the “Browse” button and then find the saved “.qsf” file that you saved on your hard drive. Click on the .qsf file, click the “Import” button, and the survey will open up in your account. You can make changes to the survey if you like.
Save this file when you reach step 8 (right click and ‘save as’)
When the survey is imported into your own Qualtrics account, you are now set to send it to your customers. The easiest and quickest is to email the survey directly from your computer to a list of customers you want to complete it by using the following steps:
- When you are logged in your Qualtrics account, click on the “send” button that looks like an envelope.
- The next screen should ask you to activate your survey.
- Click on the words “Activate your survey to collect responses.”
- Your anonymous survey link will then appear as a series of random letters and numbers.
- All you need to do then is copy the entire link and paste it in your email message that you’ll be sending to your customers. Typically, the link is pasted just below your message asking (i.e., begging) for your customers to complete the survey by clicking on the survey link.
- Then click “send”.
The data will be automatically collected by Qualtrics as your customers complete the survey. Typically, you should give customers about a week to complete the survey, then send them another reminder with the survey link embedded in the second reminder message. To download your customer data into Excel:
- Click on the “View Results” tab in Qualtrics.
- There are a number of options here to view/analyze the data and you can choose whichever is most convenient for you. However, I tend to analyze my surveys by downloading the data into Excel.
- To download the customer data into Excel you would click on the tab that looks like the one below.
This is a Comma Separated Values format of the raw data that can be easily imported into Excel, Access, or other programs. Each value in the response is separated by a comma, and each response is separated by a newline character.
- Your customer responses will be automatically exported into Excel which you can then analyze.
For additional information regarding this survey, feel free to contact Dr. DeCarlo at COLLAT School of Business, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, BEC 219, 1150 10th Ave. South, Birmingham, AL 35294; phone: 205.934.8989; email: email@example.com; web: www.uab.edu/id.